So he used copious gallons of water (are we on a meter, dear?) and then had no method to dry the upstairs windows afterwards. I had no idea that window cleaning as a profession was so dangerous. Being a contrary madam I decided to google 'death and injury whilst window cleaning' - just wanting to satisfy myself exactly how dangerous window cleaning is!!! I found this, (scroll down and read the comment from Victor Arram....ha ha ha!) which whilst an unfortunate tale - has no mention of ladders - no - in this case it was the bucket and the water which proved to be hazardous. I failed to find news of any window cleaner falling from a ladder and suffering injury or death.
I'm not a huge fan of 'Elf and safety - I appreciate that there are instances where it is needed - clearly we cannot send children up chimneys anymore (it would be fun though wouldn't it? I think it may be a workable solution for the teenage scrotes who appear on the 'Jeremy Kyle' show!) ...and people's working environment should be as safe as possible......but puleeeeze - no more ladders for window cleaners - is it just me - or do you think that's a step too far?
Soon I shall be prohibited from riding my horse on the grounds that it is dangerous!!! Perhaps the 'Elf and safety police will decree that her legs should be shortened so that if I do fall it won't be so far? Life can be dangerous - get over it!
So - times have changed - no more asking to fill the bucket - no more ladders - no more leathers to polish the windows - and no more deadly falling from ladders incidents. Now it's all about a huge water bill and windows with rain spots. I nearly offered him a cup of tea - but thought better of it - wouldn't want him to refuse on the grounds of 'Elf and safety.....it might be too hot, the cup might have germs on it, you may try to poison me.........Goodness me - whatever next?
I am starting to sound like Victor Meldrew.